After watching me make pair after pair of handwarmers, my husband started asking me for a pair for work. “But I want fingers,” he said. I looked for a few free patterns online, without anything that appealed to me much. So I made up my own pattern as I went…
As part of my Christmas 2010 hand knit gifts bonanza, most of the women in my family received handwarmers. I thought they would be ideal for cold hands while working on the computer.
So I’ve neglected the blog awhile. Going to try updating again, semi-regularly. Last Christmas I got ambitious and made knitted presents for everyone in my family. My brother received these striped short-row hats that I made from the “Tychus” pattern on knitty.com.
They require double strands of each color, but are a great way to use up leftover yarn. The only problem is that they are definitely made for someone with a larger head, and they don’t have much elasticity. Very warm though, and quite striking.
My mom made a request for her birthday for a knitted headband based on a pattern she found on Knitty. I didn’t have enough time to make it before her birthday, but I had plenty of time to make it for Mother’s Day.
It’s has a bit of an odd shape so it covers your head while still allowing you to put up your hair.
I thought it turned out decently, but my favorite part is the horse button that I found at Tender Buttons. I literally stumbled upon this store on the Upper East Side while on an errand and wondering where on earth I could buy buttons within walking distance. Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in need of a button.
Since I had lots of extra yarn and time, I decided to make a matching scarf. Knit 2, Purl 2, to match the headband.
This past winter my husband decided that the hat he had on permanent loan from me wasn’t work appropriate because it was too “fuzzy.” He loathes clothes shopping, so he went cold headed for most of the winter. Since I’ve been on a knitting kick, I wanted to make sure he didn’t go another winter without a hat. Very simple pattern (made it up as I went) and I fitted it on him as I knitted so it’s nice and snug.
I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky yarn in charcoal, which for some reason is much stiffer than the other colors I’ve used in the brand, but I’m hoping it will soften up with use.
After completing my elephant, I felt like I should add something else. The book had numerous baby shower gifts, so I opted for this baby bonnet. The pattern was relatively simple and knitted out really quickly. I especially like how she designed the ties/border around the face.
I was a little concerned about the seams being too stiff in the back, but otherwise I think it turned out well. To get a better idea of how it looks on an actual baby:
This pattern is also from Joelle Hoverson’s Last Minute Knitted Gifts. More knitting projects on the way…
Despite the lack of evidence, I’ve been a knitting fiend. Most of the things I’ve been knitting are gifts though, so no posts until the gifts are all received. I have a friend who is having a baby soon, and I was thinking about making a baby blanket. Then I saw this picture on the Purl Bee:
I thought the elephant was super cute and decided to give a stuffed animal a try. It’s probably the most complicated thing I’ve knitted to date.
Anyway, I’m pretty pleased with how he turned out. There’s also a bunny and a bear pattern, so I may give those a try next… Pattern is from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Around Christmas my grandmother lost her scarf and my mom requested that I make a replacement. She had two requirements: it must be purple and it can’t be too long (grandma is short). Here is my final (tardy) product. I used Bernat Satin lavender yarn, in a moss stitch again. My goal now is to start another project that is not: a) rectangular in shape or b) a moss stitch. As much as I love the pattern and its ability to lie flat, I should branch out a bit…
This project has been a year and a half in the making, working on and off in front of the TV. The blanket is big enough to fit a queen sized bed –each row took about 15 minutes. I used 16 balls of yarn knitting a moss stitch. Plain but functional. I knew the blanket was a success when the dog began using it as her favorite sleeping spot. The downside: it shows every single dog hair.